Sunday, December 1, 2013

WAR!

I'll bet y'all thought I was going to write about the first Sunday of Advent.  Nah, I'm going to let other people write about that!  But I will just say, I LOVE ADVENT!  :)

Our local Catholic high school had the honor and privilege to play in the State Championship game on Saturday at our NFL team's stadium.  I took our middle three to see the battle game.  It was an EXPERIENCE!

The stadium is huge, huge, huge!  I cannot imagine what it's like on Sundays when our team is home. Did I mention that we were given free tickets???  We would never be able to afford taking 4 of us to an NFL game, so it was great to be there to see the local boys play.

The opposing team was undefeated and had slaughtered every team for their entire season. The lowest score of their season was 40 points.  The highest was 72.  Who scores 72 points in football??!?! I mean honestly, that is cruel.  Put your freshmen in for crying out loud, but don't beat down a team by 72 points! I digress....

Our boys were scrappy all season.  We were 11 and 3.  We had some awesome wins and some losses that we shouldn't have.  Nobody, and mean, N.O.B.O.D.Y thought we were state material.

It was 21 to 7, opponent, going into half time.  I don't know what our coach said in the locker room, but our boys came out on fire!  We scored 14 straight points and then it was 4th quarter.  We went for 2 after a touchdown, but didn't make it.  We had 27.  Then they got the ball.  They scored with the point after, 28.

That is when the war began.  Those boys ground out for a minute and thirty seconds.  We were determined to score, and they were determined to stop us.  It was a tremendous thing to watch.

They did stop us.  But we didn't let them score 40 points.  We proved that we did deserve to be there. And we made them earn it.  Our boys had nothing to hang their heads about.  I know they were disappointed, but wow!!! What. a. game!!!!

I reminds me so much of war of old.  Hand to hand combat, grinding it out on the ground. Young men defending their "turf".  The more things change the more things remain the same.....

It was something to see and I'm so glad that we had the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment