Thursday, April 4, 2013

language of civilization

Holy week was a challenge.

With the Supreme Court getting the marriage cases, I was on fire defending traditional marriage on Facebook.  Trying to keep liberals on point in a conversation is like herding cats.  I was walking a fine line between defending the faith and marriage and having to win and be recognized for being "right". I hope I stayed on the right side of the line!

Since I'm friends on Facebook with only people I know, I consider them my peers.  People like me.  I know that not everyone lives as I do, but I felt reasonably certain that since we were all Americans, we all spoke the same English language.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

We couldn't agree on the definition of the words,  men and women, spouse, natural law or pedophile.  It was eye opening. I had no idea that while I had been exchanging pleasantries with these people for years, they had quietly accepted an alternative reality to one that I had taken for granted for far too long.  I knew they had disagreed with my belief system, but I hadn't realized that they had embraced a belief system hostile to my own.  I feel like it happened over night.  I can only wonder at how much more fruitful my Lent would have been if I'd realized this truth earlier.  It sure did whip my Holy Week into shape quickly!

Our society is in deep, deep trouble.  It has fallen far further than I anticipated and I think it happened much more quickly than I realized.

What happens to a society that can't agree on such fundamental words as men and women?   Or spouse? What Natural Law is? I don't think it ends well.

If you don't feel comfortable defending your positions, do what you need to do to get comfortable.  Read, join organization with like minded people and most importantly pray.

Your children's futures depend on it, our society depends on it and God demands it!

No comments:

Post a Comment