Sunday, January 6, 2013

what's in a name....

Good question!  Why would I name a blog "a good mother would"?  Because I certainly don't consider myself one.  But I'm trying.  And I often think when I mess up or have no clue what I'm doing (yes, even after parenting for 21 yrs!!!) I think, "a good mother would know what to do!"  Or "if I were a good mother I would have done xyz".  But I know where to find a good mother.  Our sweet, loving, virgin, Blessed Mother Mary has many "good mother" titles.  Repeatedly through the years She has helped me through countless sleepless nights, dirty laundry, dirty house, and all manner of crisis.  Whether it has been a medical, financial or spiritual crisis, She is just a thought away.  A swift prayer to the Blessed Mother and the burden becomes light, bearable, and manageable.  A good mother knows where to turn!  Our Lady of Good Counsel, intercede for us!

Another reason I named the blog "a good mother would" is to build up the community of mothers.  Often we are judgmental of other's mothering choices....home schooling, or not;  3 children rather than 12; working or stay at home.  What ever side you fall on the issues, we often judge p.r.e.t.t.y harshly the opposite side of the coin.  I have a beloved friend.  We were in each other weddings, had babies at the same time, and I was her God mother when she came into the church.  She once said to me when I asked her if she was prepared for an event, "A good mother would be".  Amid much laughter, the name of a blog was born!! I know that every mother, at some point in her motherhood, has questioned her ability to be a good mother. A good mother would seek council among her friends!

The final and best reason for the blog's name is Our Holy Mother Church.  Within her loving arms contains the sacraments that pick us up when we have failed.  And, thanks to original sin, we will fail. Thankfully we have recourse to the Spouse of Christ to help us amend the wrongs, find the path, give us respite when the burden is heavy.  If you ever need the answer to what "a good mother would do" look no further than the Church Jesus established and the example of His Saints!

Who knew that such 4 simple words could contain 3 paragraphs of explanation!  Aren't you glad you asked?

A good mother would....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment