Thursday, January 10, 2013

the unexpected....

With autism, you just never know what the day will bring.  I have lamented before that the conventional school year does not lend it's self to optimal adjustment for people with the disability. Summer vacation, mid -term breaks, Christmas vacation and Spring break are incredibly difficult hurdles to jump over.  In our family, it was no different on Monday for the return to school after the Christmas vacation than the first day of school in August.

Sweet Smoochy, the 7 yr old, literally flopped on the floor like a wet rag when I pulled him out of bed on Monday. Through the weeping I  bribed offered him a Ring Pop if he'd go to school.  Fine. He cooperated, unhappily.  Tuesday was less wet rag, but still with the tears.  So another Ring Pop it was.  Wednesday we were down to just protesting, but no Ring Pop.  In fact, I didn't even offer one.  Mainly because I didn't have one in the house, but even if I had I wouldn't have offered one!

And then today....the unexpected happened!!!! I got him out of bed a little earlier than usual and allowed him more time to just "be".  And he came to me and said, "Okay mom, let's go!".  The heavens opened and the angels sang...and I rejoiced as I ran out the door as fast as I could in case he changed his mind!!!!

I am offering prayers of thanksgiving and rejoicing in the unexpected gift of such an epic vacation recovery!!! Because,

a good mother would.....

No comments:

Post a Comment