Friday, May 30, 2014

Precious Paper

We went to the 8th grade recognition banquet this week.

You know the ones. Where all the brightest, gifted, athletic kids get recognized for being the brightest, gifted and athletic. Nothing like getting kudos for doing what you were made to do, for using your God given talents in the manner that He meant for them to be used.

We sat there for 2 and half hours as the same kids were hauled up in front of the group of parents. And I was happy for them. But I also watched as my son's shoulders sank lower with each passing moment of award after award and his name wasn't called. And I felt badly that I hadn't anticipated this. All of our other children have gotten a couple of awards and I thought he would be the same.

I thought wrong.

This sweet, sweet, Godly boy, who works so hard to be like everybody else, didn't get to walk up front countless times. This child who couldn't walk on stairs correctly, who couldn't talk, or write, or etc, etc, etc didn't get lots of "atta boys". How far this boy has taken all of his "couldn'ts" and made them "coulds". And yet there was no recognition for that. No, this boy who works so hard and has come so far for straight Bs and to have friends and to manage being part of our society didn't get what everybody else got.

Nope. Nada. Nothing.

But all those "talented" kids doing what their supposed to be doing? Let the praise rain down!

There is one piece of paper that this young man child did receive, however.

He got the Integrity Award.

The teachers' awarded him a high honor. In my opinion the highest honor of the night. "For always choosing to do what is right".

While all the other children were being honored for all they DO, my son got honored for who he IS.

He may not have been impressed with "just one lousy piece of paper after 8 years of work", but I was grateful. I would rather have that piece of paper than a social studies award, or being number 1 in the class. It shows his true character, his drive, his gentility, and his perseverance.

I am so proud of this young man and I am glad to be called his mother.

A good mother would!

No comments:

Post a Comment