Saturday, February 23, 2013

doing good.....

I was getting in line at the grocery store on Friday morning and the people in front of me where struggling on what to put back because they didn't have the money.  The older woman was using the motorized cart, so clearly there were health issues as well as lack of funds.

As soon as they checked out, I put the items they had put back on to the conveyor belt.  There wasn't anyway I could get them the groceries with out them knowing about it, and I tried not to make a big deal of it.  They were thankful, and I just told them to pay it forward.  I was feeling pretty good about it because most of my donations are anonymous through the food bank or the clothing bank.

Then my dad called.

My mom had surgery on Monday that was out patient and not a big deal.  But surgery none the less.  I hadn't called her all week.  He was calling to remind me.  I could have cared less because she is ALWAYS having surgery.

I was showing more charity to some struggling people in a grocery store than my own mother.  NICE!

So BS nagged suggested that we go visit them today.  I'm so bull headed and hard hearted that I would never have made myself go.  I'm glad that I have such a good and Godly man who would gently make me do the right thing.

Clearly I have a long way to go in the charity department.

A very good lesson to learn during Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment